Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Something missing

Something missing, besides the wood ducks
I went looking for the wood ducks who have been on our pond to try to take their photo, but every time I went out with the camera they were either hiding or had vanished.   When I didn't have the camera, I usually could see them.  I'm wondering if they will nest here.  They are a tree nesting duck, and we certainly have lots of big dead trees where they could find a hole to lay eggs. 
Pond.  If you look closely you can also see the dogs' Buster Cube which someone (!) threw in the pond.   The dogs  were not interested in swimming to fetch it.

Yesterday was a good day for bird watching, and besides all the quick little living birds, I found this dead hawk near the fence.  From what I can tell in the bird identification guide it's an immature Cooper's Hawk, still perfect and beautiful in a way.



No comments:

Post a Comment